Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Great new drug for Type II's

2 posts in this topic

Posted

Every diabetic will tell you, keeping your blood glucose (sugar) well managed is one of the most important things when it comes to healing, be it surgery or an infection.

I myself had a very hard time keeping my glucose levels under 200 BEFORE my leg amputation.  While I was recovering in the hospital, one of the doctors on my case started prescribing a new drug for me called "Onglyza 5mg" once a day, and the result was nothing short of amazing!  While I am still on Glyburide/Metformin 10-1,000mg twice a day, since starting on Onglyza, where I had to fight and take between 50 and 100 units of 70-30 insulin a day just to keep my glucose at 200,  plus 30-50 units of R insulin to control food related spikes, Since starting on Onglyza, I NO LONGER USE INJECTABLE INSULIN AT ALL  and my glucose starts at 80 when I get up and hovers around 120 the rest of the day with no food spikes.  These results since sept 2014  to today (may 2015) are simply amazing, and have contributed greatly to my overall health and especially wound healing!

Now I am NOT a medical doctor, but I wanted to mention this so people who had really bad glucose problems would have something to bring to their doctor's attention and see if he/she would record it for them.  It has proven to be a  miracle drug for me with the ONLY side effect being it lowers my glucose too much in the evening si that I have cut back on my night dose of Glyburide/Metformin by half!

Like I said, I am not an M.D., just another type II diabetic, so ask yoor own doctor to see if he/she thinks it might help you too!

-Bob:D

Posted

I have been a type 2 diabetic for about 25 years. Both my parents and their grandfathers were also type 2. I take pretty good doses of both short (lispro) and long acting (lantus) insulins, counting carbs for my short acting. It's just a way of life for me. In the past, I have trialed several of the older injectables but developed GI & pancreatic side effects, so I am leary of trying any thing new.

A while ago, there was a 10 year study being conducted to study the effects of tight control. One group was under really tight control, while the other was getting placebos. After a few years the study was stopped, because the group that was getting the tighter control was dying of diabetes related issues at a higher rate than those with poorer control.

Over the past year, not intentionally, but due to stress, health issues, and loss of appetite, I lost about 50 lbs, and have significantly lessened the amount of insulin that I take.