Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Started shooting at YMCA CAMP WHEN I WAS 8

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Man, have things changed!

I started to shoot firearms and learn gun safety when I was 8 years old at YMCA camp.  Now I bet you can't even find a summer camp that lets kids shoot and learn firearm safety (thank god the boy scouts here still do).  Because of this exposure, later in life I became an NRA expert competitive shooter and a federal licensed gun dealer!

Parents today are scared to death to let their children explore and grow. Many schools when I grew up had gun or rifle clubs where it was not unusual for students to bring their rifles to school for a show and tell type program. today a child bringing a firearm to school would sound the alarm for a shutdown followed by swat teams showing up.

I do admit that when my own daughter was little I locked all my firearms in a big safe, and I could never get her to join me at the range to shoot and learn safety.  Now she is grown up (25) and is still familiar enough with dad's guns she has has no interest in them even though I always have a sidearm on my belt AND on the coffee table.

I'm not sure why times have changed so much, where parents deprive their kids of the things that made our childhoods in the 50's so great.

-Bob

(the photo circa 1958...of the shooting range at my old summer camp below (camp mon-go-tah-see in northern Michigan), now long closed.mohn-go-tah-see.thumb.jpg.a49769dca91bce 

Edited by admin

Posted

My dad was a depression kid, and there were times when food was scarce he would go out and shoot small game to bring home for dinner. At our house, he had a 22 rifle and a 20 gauge shotgun. In the fall, he would take us out to the country hunting with him. He also would buy a cow & a pig each fall from a farmer, and he would bring along a gun to put the animal down, and bring it home and butcher it in the garage (we lived in a big city). What that taught us was that guns aren't toys. As kids, we knew that there was a loaded shotgun, & where it was hidden, and this was in the day when you never locked your doors. As an adult, I owned a 20 gauge shotgun I used for skeet shooting, and owned a couple of handguns for target practice and protection. As a single woman, I owned my own home,  I bought a gun, in part for target shooting and for protection. It was in a good neighborhood & I figured if someone could get through my dog to enter my home, I best have some protection. In the 60's our Jr. High School had a shooting range, and my brother brought his gun to school on Fridays for target practice.