Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Helping Children Everyday at NO COST!

1 post in this topic

Posted

I am proud to be a Master Mason and a Shriner! -Bob,

Shriners International is a fraternity based on fun, fellowship and the Masonic principles of brotherly love, relief and truth with nearly 200 temples (chapters) in seven countries and thousands of clubs around the world. Our fraternity is open to men of integrity from all walks of life.

Shriners International also supports Shriners Hospitals for Children®, a health system of 22 facilities dedicated to providing pediatric medical care, world-class research and educational opportunities for medical professionals.

Here is just one of thousands of stories of children helped by shiners at  NO COST to the child or his/her family!

shrinekid.thumb.jpg.159ee4eaf188766a0f36

Born without a tibia, Vincent’s family made the difficult decision to have his leg amputated below the knee so that he could lead a more active life. Today, 16-month-old Vincent has learned to walk using his new prosthetic leg and is keeping up with his big sister and learning to run!
BURNSVILLE, Minn – Sixteen-month-old Vincent Lynick zooms around his backyard pushing a toy lawnmower, unfazed by a prosthetic leg that helped him take his first true steps.

"I think I cried when he took three steps. Oh my gosh, he's doing it," remembers Sally Lynick, his mother.

The Burnsville toddler was born without a tibia, the bone connecting his knee to his ankle.

Two days after his birth, his parents, Michael and Sally Lynick discovered their son had tibial hemimelia, a rare condition undetected in an ultrasound. Doctors told them if their son would ever walk, they would face a difficult decision to amputate their son's leg.

Vincent Lynick underwent a successful amputation below his left knee at Shriners Hospital for Children in Minneapolis shortly after his first birthday in January. He received the custom prosthetic leg – covered in a blue puppy dog design – at the Shriners Hospital for Children Twin Cities in Minneapolis in March. Prosthetist Matt Morel told the Lynicks that Vincent will face the same milestones as any other toddler.

"You are going to be doing anything any 1-year-old is going to do to learn to walk -- let him push behind furniture, stand behind a chair, or hold a chair," said Morel.

After three months, Vincent has adapted beyond expectation.

"Any doubts we've had to see him go -- now he's just taken off," said Michael Lynick. "He's forging ahead and we're trailing behind."

Vincent has yet to run on his new prosthetic leg, but is gaining speed and independence. His parents say he even asks to put on his leg right away in the morning.

-Bob