Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

looking for friends

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I am always looking for other amputee friends....so feel free to make a post and tell us about yourself!

-Bob

Posted

Hi:

I am a bka since Sept 2012.  It is hard to believe it has been nearly 3 years.  So glad you started this site, Bob.  No one can understand what it is like unless you have been through it too.  I think I made great progress for the first 1 and 1/2 years.  Then I had quite a few delays getting my final leg.    Got it last October but I have been going through a lot of depression.  I don't walk as well as I would like.  I want to look more natural but instead I tend to waddle.  I am 60 so I don't need to look any more decrepit than necessary!  By the time I go to bed at night, I ache all over.  My prosthesis guy says I have a good and balanced fit.  For so long, I was making so much progress.  Now, I feel I am going nowhere, just getting by.  I work which is necessary but also good for me.  Has anyone else gone through or is going through this?  Any words of wisdom or encouragement?

Thanks.

Kathy

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm not as far along as you are KathyD. I had a prior gait imbalance  prior to my amp, claudication in my left foot which was painful and a little disfigured. Also have/had a hip contracture which has gone from 18 degrees to neutral per my therapist and just a few degrees per my prothestist. My prothestist thinks it will take me 9 months to walk with a cane. My insurance is very generous with the number of physical therapy appointments that they will pay for each year. I'm just wondering if your MD would write an order for you to be seen by PT again. Maybe they can work on you regarding your gait. Also, I would work with the prothestist, and if necessary maybe get a 2nd opinion on your fit. Hang in there.

1 person likes this

Posted

Bob thank you for letting me join this site. I am new to all of this. Even some of the terminology has me confused. I am a left foot below the knee amputation do to an infection in my foot. I had some complications   My amputation was March 15th of this year. Currently in rehab. Started walking 4 weeks ago. Getting a little down want to go home. I am improving but I am also nervous on how much my life has changed. My family is very supportive but they don't really understand. That is why I am so glad I have found your group. I am crying even writing this. Thanks for letting me join your group. 

Posted

Hi guys!

I have been a little busy with the holidays, so I have not checked in for a while, but let me say now Merry Christmas to everybody!  I am sorry this amputation thing has been such a depression downer for KathyD and many others.  Try seeing your doctor and see if he might put you on something for depression.  My doctor put me on paxil several years ago (My wife calls it my anti-asshole drug) and I think that has helped me a great deal. 

Posted

Oh yeah....if anybody wants to read about me and my experience....go to www.amputationhelp.com   I am now 1 year since my operation.    Due to a very bad back (I was on SSI disability before my amputation due to my bad lower back.) I still am using a wheelchair (because of my back pain)  for longer runs but can drive fine and use a walker to get shorter distances.