Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My Story -- Stupid Mistake cost me my leg.

2 posts in this topic

Posted

I am going to give you a very brief synopsis of my life over the past 3 years.

in July 2013, I stepped on my wife's razor in the shower with my left foot.  A year later, and 38 surgeries, I had a BKA on my left leg.

To read my entire story, its easier to just give you a link to our blog and read it when you have time.  Or, visit my Facebook page www.facebook.com/dereksignorini to read it all.  http://pleasedontpassthesugar.typepad.com/my-blog/2014/10/the-introduction.html

I also have an Amputee Support site, www.mybka.org if you want to hang out there as well!

Posted

I am diabetic and had compromised circulation in my left leg, and had put off elective surgery since I wasn't having complications. Then, a co-worker left her suitcase on wheels in a common area. I didn't see it, and I tripped over it. I ended up with a Jones Fracture in my foot in a area where it naturally doesn't get good circulation. I was encouraged to have bypass surgery to improve blood flow in order to help the slow healing fracture heal. Long story short, I ended up with 2 failed bypasses, and a number of complications that led to the amp.